Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The S.S. United States


Oh the metaphors about this are just too easy!

Kidding aside, in my last post I linked (click on the word "that") to an article in Wikipedia about the Dead Media Project--"dead media" being the storage mediums that we no longer use, or use extremely rarely. That got me thinking about this post I meant to do a week ago.

I found these old photos of mine after hearing about the ship over the Independence Day weekend. The ship has been an object of Philadelphia pride for years--even though we don't exactly have the time or money to treat this object properly (I am still talking about the ship, not our sports teams). Recently, a financial donor came through with a generous donation to the conservancy trying to save the ship, and it looks like the current owner will sell it to the conservancy rather than a scrap yard. I think that is a good thing.

Back in '02 my brother took me to see it. It was a cold, gray day in December. We stood along Columbus Boulevard, the wind stinging our faces. I took a few photos. I remember the day fondly.

No comments:

Post a Comment