Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Henri Cole (an interview with Christopher Lydon)

Speaking of Merrill... "When I write a poem, I hope to be in conversation with Merrill, who hopes to be in conversation with Cavafy or Whitman, and it goes back and back to Horace. But I guess I am also aware of the need to push all of that out of my head and just write the poem that I want to write."

And, as for qualities in a poem..."There has to be a commitment to emotional truth, and there has to be a little concerto of consonants and vowels. Most people do one or the other. Getting them together is essential."
-from the interview

Thanks to Christopher Lydon and the Huffington Post, I just listened to this delicious interview with Henri Cole. Lydon asks good questions and allows Cole to share much. Throughout the interview, Cole reads from his latest collection, Blackbird and Wolf (2007). Here are some of Cole's poems "My Weed" at 8:05, "Oil and Steel" at 10:10, "Embers at 13:30, "Dune" at the 18:50 mark, "Pig" at 29:09, and "Asleep in Jesus at Rest" at 31:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment