Tuesday, February 1, 2011

I'm Off to AWP's Conference in Washington Tomorrow


These east coast meetings are a blast. New York in 2008 was insanely fun. I picked up Tracy K. Smith's second book, listened to Jan Beatty, heard an incredible panel on the writings of military service personnel, was enthralled by a panel on the writings of Mexican-Americans, and on and on. The book fair featured plenty of small presses from around the country, but there was a huge turn-out from innovative and creative presses around New York (especially in Brooklyn). All that, and I got a chance to see many of my friends from the writing programs at Carnegie Mellon and Pitt.

This year the schedule is packed with exciting presentations and panels--I still haven't decided what I will be attending. That said, I will spend some time at book fair. There are several small presses here in Philly that I haven't had the chance to talk to, and there are several journals that might like my work (I like their work, so we'll see, won't we?). I'll be updating the blog at least once a day with my notes from throughout the day.

If you're there, please stop by the Painted Bride Quarterly event on Thursday night. I'll be promoting other small presses tomorrow.

Stay tuned.



No comments:

Post a Comment