Sunday, January 26, 2014

Making it up as I go

I never realized how much fun I could have singing until I realized how important it is to feel comfortable ad-libbing lyrics. Many a wrong word has been sung by Yours Truly over the years ("burning up the star-crossed herringbone" -- take a guess).  I hated my poor memory. I used to blame some imaginary dial in my head for being "tuned" to the wrong word, now I realize that dial was trying to help me find words I couldn't understand or remember. Now I embrace that dial with both hands and turn it to 11.

With the dial set there, I can write whole new verses:

Hush, little baby, don't say a word,
. . .
And if that diamond ring won't shine,
Daddy's gonna buy you a ball of twine.

And if that ball of twine rolls away,
Daddy's gonna buy you some modelling clay,

And if that modelling clay dries up,
Daddy's gonna buy you a fancy tea cup.

And if that fancy tea cup springs a leak,
Daddy's gonna buy you a babbling creek.

And if that babbling creek lacks fish,
Daddy's gonna buy you whatever you wish.

Other verses include rodeo clowns that aren't funny, castle towers that fall down, currencies that collapse, seeds that won't flower, and baseball bats that only hit fouls.

The best part is, my six month-old audience member provides instant and authentic feedback. Amen and good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment