Saturday, March 16, 2013

Man Of Mystery; Fred Siegel

Fred Siegel's show, Man of Mystery, has its last performance tonight at South Street Magic at 8:30. Details below.
 
The work is a brilliant one-man (basically) performance memoir composed of stories from Siegel's life as a denizen of magic shops, a dynamo at Coney Island, and a disciple of the dark spaces people gather to be amazed.

There's a hilarious "dream-sequence" that I have the feeling changes with each performance. I can't wait to see that--and the entire show--again. Why do I love this show?

I love this show because it reminded me of why I like to write poetry. There's something magical about the idea of reaching across space and time to try and affect someone's view--to excite, to amaze, to amuse, to cause someone else to question thoughts, feelings, or perspectives. Siegel knows better (PhD from NYU) to waste time addressing this directly, but that point comes through elegantly in his stories. Through his performance he creates moments that are funny, tender, strange--even uncomfortable--but above all, the audience is treated to moments of mystery. Just when we think we have Siegel figured out, we don't. The only think left to do is listen and observe more carefully.

Artists, performers, and anyone who makes art for others--even those who just followed an obsession--will be captured by this show. That said, the occasional behind-the-scenes look into the world of magic (not magic tricks) should interest everyone.

This is my second time seeing the show. If the dream sequence does change, I will note it in a future post. I hope the show is extended. If not, I'll post again the next time it appears.

Get tickets online here.

South Street Magic is at:
519 South 4th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19147
(267) 519-3733





1 comment:

  1. Weather killed my attempt to make it to the performance. I hope Siegel brings the show back sometime soon--I want to share it with my brother.

    ReplyDelete