Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Unpacking from AWP 2013 in Boston

After every trip, I always spend several days unpacking the little things I collected: notes and ideas on scraps of paper, menus, maps, even the occasional napkin or two. With a writing conference the piles are larger: books, bookmarks, flyers, pages of notes--in addition to all of the usual strange mementos just mentioned. This year's AWP conference in Boston is like unpacking a pile of presents.

I attended several panels and took pages of notes. I bought books from Tupelo Press by Stacey Waite, CM Burroughs, from Many Mountains Moving: Rebecca Foust, and from Saturnalia Books: Natalie Shapero's No Object. I also picked up issues of great journals: Bat City Review, One Story and 32 Poems.

New discoveries for me? One Story (each issue holds--you guessed it--one story), Prime Number (a journal of poetry and prose from Press 53), and rkvry (I was happy to read a story from Randall Brown in the latest issue). I also discovered how much I miss this sphere--this creative writing sphere--of my life. Links to these places will be on the right.

New projects are in the works. Life goes on.


No comments:

Post a Comment