Thursday, April 11, 2013

March Madness Ends. April Madness Begins

Greatest Living Poet? Greatest Deceased Poet? Greatest Poet in Translation?

Oh, it's on alright.

Powell's Books, perhaps the coolest independent bookstore to also be gigantic, has created a bracket system for the 2013 Month of Poetry, which as we all know, is April. Head over to what the folks at Powell's are dubbing Poetry Madness and vote in this single elimination tournament. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and vote as you see fit in this first round.

First round eliminations will be difficult on all of us, I know. Is it unfair that Li Young-Lee has been pitted against Kevin Young? Is it nonsensical that Billy Collins is up against Mary Oliver? Perhaps, but the league commissioners decided this, in their own words, as:

Three or four of us chatted over coffee and doughnuts.

Powell's has been in Portland, Oregon for decades, and silliness like this is part of the culture. A cat, Fup, inhabited the store for years, and in the early days of Powell's online presence, monthly email newsletters included a short section on the cat's adventures as well as reviews, and interviews.

Customer service is good--and I enjoy shopping from them. I don't know if I'm going to vote in Poetry Madness, but I thought I should share it--and the store--with others.


Who am I kidding? Of course I'll vote.



No comments:

Post a Comment