Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Lost Entry from May 23rd


From notes I scribbled down in my phone, and later, in another journal.

Longwood Gardens. My favorite room in the elaborate and palatial greenhouse is a room with enormous vaulted ceilings of glass and steel that fade away into the sky, above the true center and spirit of the room: an enormous marble pool--grey and silver--perhaps as large as an Olympic pool. Filled ever so slightly with just a coating of shimmering water, the pool nourishes clusters of ferns, orchids and small trees. That shimmer, that was what moved me. I yearned to walk down the stars into the pool and to walk on that film of shimmering water. There was a wooden bench in one tree-shaded cluster, a fern on one side, room for one to sit on the other. I could have spent an afternoon on that bench, by the fern, and under the shade of the tree, tapping my foot. Sending ripples out. All afternoon. A whole afternoon. Honestly.



2 comments:

  1. Oh my god, I love Longwood Gardens. Haven't been there in forever - can we please go with you sometime soon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll email you with some ideas phantasmaphile.

    ReplyDelete