Saturday, August 20, 2011

A Good Short Story for the Summer

CutBank, a cool literary magazine out of Missoula, Montana, just published its 75th issue. I recommend my friend Anne Ray's story, "Novio, Novia." You can buy issue 75 for ten dollars. It will be delivered to your residence. I make the additional claim that you will enjoy it.

Ray's story about a college girl trapped in a crappy summer job at the intersection of multiple cultures is funny, engrossing, and at times even a little anxiety-inducing. And, it's perfect reading for this hot summer we've been having. I love it. The craft is elegant but not distracting--it's as though you're immersed in a clear stream of narrative. In fact, when I picked it up off my nightstand this morning, it sucked me in so quickly and so thoroughly that I forgot to make my usual morning pot of coffee. Ray's story won CutBank's Montana Prize in Fiction.

You can buy it here through submishmash: http://cutbank.submishmash.com/submit/6242/account

No comments:

Post a Comment