Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Fringe-ology on Radiolab

I read Fringe-ology last summer and loved it. From a google search, I saw that Amazon had it filed in New-age>Mysticism. Ugh. Steve Volk is a journalist, and the book is not something I would categorize as new-agey. I hit the Amazon site and wrote a review quickly. Although I couldn't change Amazon's wrong-headed category assignment, I could try to set the record straight in my review.  Here's an excerpt:

"Volk writes in the best tradition of journalists who, in tracking down a story, wind-up creating a captivating book. Less than a chapter in, I was all too happy to realize that Volk's work reminds me of Lee Gutkind, Mary Roach, Jon Ronson, and David Gann--authors for whom an initial question leads to a book full of answers (and more questions)."

Imagine how pleased I was to hear him on a recent episode of Radiolab that also featured Mary Roach.

Volk's book is also available in paper and electronically.



No comments:

Post a Comment