Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Remembering Bailey Adams

Drexel's student-run paper, the Triangle, ran a nice article in early June that records the depth and breadth to which Bailey Adams touched those around her. Her death on May 22, rocked--I think it's safe to say--everyone who knew her. A memorial at World Cafe Live hosted by the College of Arts and Sciences, where Bailey worked, was attended by family and friends from across the country. While the largest digital record of Bailey's life resides on her Facebook page (a huge thank-you to her friends and family for that), I write this piece here to add one more place where someone, even a stranger, might stumble across her name and encounter a reflection on how special Bailey was--how much her life meant and will mean.

The first time I had a long conversation with Bailey was the summer of 2011. I was promoting an art exhibit I was working on; I wanted to keep the Dean's office informed. Bailey listened to my long-winded description with smiles and questions, and a few weeks later we even had lunch together. She made me laugh. She made me feel relaxed. She simply helped me to have fun at work. At Drexel events we would always chat, and I was honored when she asked me to help think of her roller derby name (One sleepless Saturday night, I finally completed the project. I write about that experience here and here). I would have done anything Bailey asked--simultaneously she could make me feel valued, charming, and disarmed all within moments of seeing her.

Bailey improved the world around her. She made life better for me, and I saw how she made it better for others (the triangle article does a good job of showing this). This past Saturday the 21st, I attended a roller derby event in her memory. A squadron of fleet-footed individuals not participating in the matches manned several tables raising money for various causes Bailey had supported. It was wonderful to see her spirit live on in this activity. She was important. Look, yes, part of me recoils at the idea of judging a life, but part of me knows that's why I responded to Bailey. She made the world a better place. She added to the sum total of positive energy in the world. When a life like that ends, a sense of cosmic measurement appears for me--injustice even. Then Regret comes knocking. So does Melancholy.

I'm mostly over the sense of injustice these days, and the other feelings also fade. What remains is this: the warm feelings. The roller derby match helped me to see that she inspired the better nature in everyone around her. I was one of many who loved my time with Bailey, and thoughts of her will continue to comfort and inspire me for years to come.

Thanks to Stephanie Zepkowski for posting the above photo on Bailey's Facebook wall.


No comments:

Post a Comment